Friday, January 2, 2015

What A Summer!!

Hey my fellow lupies (others suffering with Lupus). Yes, I know I once again have fallen off the horse when it comes to blogging; but only for good reasons. I have had quite the summer to say the least. I am just happy to be here, alive and kicking and thanking GOD for continuing to let me see another day.
     Well let me get to the "tea". I left with my Dad to Pine Bluff, Arkansas on July 18th, for what was suppose to be a short "3 day trip". But as most of my lupies and ESRD folks know, if it's going to happen, it will. When I left that Friday, I was not feeling my best but felt well enough to make the trip. By the time we got to the hotel, some 5 1/2 hours later I was really tired and quite drained. I did my peritoneal dialysis as usual that night. The following day I felt really bad and was running a temperature of over 100 degrees. I laid in bed all day and didn't eat very much at all. I told my Dad I wasn't going to be able to make the event that night and that he should go without me. He didn't want to go, but I assured him I'd be okay until he returned. 
     Upon his return to the hotel room, he could tell I was in bad shape. I asked him to help me stand up to go to the restroom because I was nauseated. He immediately knew I was in trouble. He helped me to the restroom, and this is where my memory gets kinda jumbled up. I am not sure if I passed out and hit the floor but I remember my Dad rushing into the restroom to see what had happened. He found me laying on the floor and tried to get me up but couldn't. He immediately called 9-1-1, and the paramedics arrived soon after. I was transported to the hospital there in Pine Bluff where I remained in ICU for a couple of days. Little did I know my Dad had been in touch with my Mom who was here in Alabama. He also had been researching a way to get me transferred to the University of Arkansas Medical Science Center located in Little Rock. My Mom made it to Pine Bluff; my brother drove her and my Aunt there. She stayed in Arkansas with us, while my brother and Aunt returned to Madison.
     I remember being placed into the ambulance and arriving at UAMS. I do not remember much upon my arrival to the ER. From what I have been told, I displayed very shallow and labored breathing after my arrival there. My parents said one of the ICU physicians was observing me through the glass, and asked how long had I been like that. My parents said 2 days. This doctor told the ICU staff to immediately place me on a ventilator because I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I am not sure if they medically sedated me at this point or if I went into a "coma-like" state, but I was unconscious for several days and the staff could not wake me. Things continued to look grim for me from what my parents have told me. The doctors discovered that I had peritonitis, another bacterial infection behind my catheter, pneumonia, a fungal infection of the brain, and I became septic. I almost did not survive. But my parents never gave up and prayed along with friends, family, old co-workers, my church family (Little Indian Creek P.B. Church) my Aunt's church family, my second church family (Eagle's Nest Ministries), my lovely Sorors both back in Alabama and there in Little Rock, and many of the nurses and physicians caring for me.
     Well y'all all I can say is I am a living testimony, and that GOD heals. One day out of the blue I just woke up and sat up in my hospital bed. I was very disoriented but was so glad to see my parents there by my side. The whole time they never left the hospital, but slept in the 4th floor family sleeping quarters. When I woke up I was surprised I had a tube down my throat to help me breathe and a NG tube also. Once I saw my doctor, he said "well it's good to see you Ms. Rip Van Winkle". He said "it seems like you just went into a long, deep sleep". But I believe that was GOD's way of letting my body rest.


Here's a picture of me, that my Dad took several days after I woke up; notice the NG tube in the nose. But the one thing I had to have was a pair of sunglasses because my eyes were sensitive to the light in the room and outside the window. I was so glad when the respiratory department removed my breathing tube....finally I could breathe on my own!! Yay!! But little did I know this was the beginning of a long journey of recovery and several more weeks there in the hospital.
     We returned to Huntsville on August 20th, but I didn't get to go home right away....not yet anyways. I was taken to HealthSouth where I had to undergo occupational, physical, and speech therapies to help improve my balance, strength/endurance during activities and walking, my ability to concentrate and make decisions, my fine motor skills, and my speech. I also had to start eating more; something I had a hard time doing. I had a great rehab team: I am forever greatful for all their help. The rehabilitation was a long and tiring process. I got to where I was able to climb a few stairs, and walk with a walker. My balance was still an issue but had improved. My cognitive function also improved; my deficits decreased with rest. I still have trouble with my memory and concentrating on tasks for long periods of time. I was discharged from rehab on September 4th, and was finally able to return home. I was so excited to be home!! You never really know how much you miss being at home until you are not there for a long period of time.  Being back home was just the beginning of a long journey for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment